539 Phoenix Street
South Haven, MI 49090
Date: 1st and 3rd Mondays Every Month
Time: 7:30 PM
Where: City Council Chambers of City Hall
J.R. Monroe was the founder of South Haven, Michigan. He was granted a land patent from the U.S. Government in 1833 for 65 acres along Lake Michigan's shores. Soon after, he married Fannie Rawson and the newlyweds traveled by lumber wagon to live in a log cabin that Monroe had previously built. The village that Monroe had envisioned did not develop at this time and the newlyweds moved to Lawrence, Michigan. It was not until the 1850's that the original pioneers settled at this location.
It was C.J. Monroe, son of J.R. Monroe, that settled at South Haven, building and raising a family at what is now known as Monroe Manor. C.J. was also president of the town bank, now known as Clementine's Restaurant. He also served as Secretary of Agriculture for the state of Michigan. Mr. Monroe also contributed to the planning and execution of the Chicago World's Fair.